Friday, September 11, 2009

acting out culture. post 8

Prompt: It has been eight years since the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001. Thoughts?This is a very open ended free write. You can discuss what you remember about that day, if you lost any loved ones in the tragedy, if you feel the country is safer now than it was pre-9/11, etc. The main goal is just to remember that day, the lives that were lost, and the ways in which those of us who survived have carried on. The rest is up to you.

On September 11, 2001, I was in the 4th grade at North Harlem Elementary. I had stayed inside from recess to do some stuff for 4-H and to hang out with some friends. We were sitting in Ms. Kamariotis' class and she had the news on. I remember not knowing what the Twin Towers were but I could tell that they were something very important with a lot of people in them and that those people were suffering and dying. I was so scared that the next place that would be hit was my little classroom in Harlem, Ga. I remember yelling at some kids because they were laughing about it and making jokes. That afternoon, I got off the bus and realized that I had forgotten my key to the house so I went next door and watched the news with my neighbor and her boyfriend. Over the next few weeks, I wore red, white, and blue alot, emptied out my piggie bank for families who had lost their loved ones, and made a really pretty American flag sign for our front door. There are alot of little details that I remember from that day but the main thing was there were many people who lost their lives in the wreckage and while trying to pull people out of it. It was probably one of the most tragic days in my life so far and I hope something like it never happens again. I knew a family and the mom's brother was one of the firefighters who lost his life that day so that is when it really hit home to me. September 11th is a day that many people will remember and I hope everyone pays their respects to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment