Friday, August 28, 2009

Acting Out Culture Post 3

Prompt: Please take a look at the questions at the end of the essay "Two Cheers for Materialism" (AOC, 38) by Twitchell. Please respond to Question 5.



Q: In defending consumerism, in his larger work, Lead Us Into Temptation, Twitchell makes the following claim "We live through things. We create ourselves through things. And we change ourselves by changing our things." Describe an experience from your life that you think reflects, atleast to some degree, the arguement Twitchell advances here. What example from your life can you find in which a thing you owned fulfilled this promise? As you look back on this example now, does it seem to warrant the conclusion Twitchell draws? How or how not?

I think that the claim is very true. I shoot archery on a world competition level and as I have grown older and become better at the sport, I have gained better equipment and therefore I have become a better archer because the things I have are more accurate than what I had when I was younger. I think that Twitchells claim is supported by my example because had I never gotten new and better equipment then I would have never been able to compete on a world level and never had made a name for myself in the archery world.



No comments:

Post a Comment